Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

MrsCabbage

2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusliers

MrsCabbage

HI apologies if this has been asked before but Im very new to this. 

Im trying to research my great Grandfather Sgt William Donaldson 7703 2nd battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.  His name is on the Menin Gate.  Where do I start trying to find information on him? I know he sailed on the SS Australind in January 1915 and was killed on 8 May 1915.  I have a photogfaph of him but that is it.

Thanks in advance for any help

20171105_080209.jpg

jonbem

Hi and welcome

he was Listed as “Missing” on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from 2nd June 1915.          

regards

Jon

jonbem

Ancestry and Findmypast military records are free on registration this weekend I believe

Medal Index card on Ancestry HERE

Medal Roll HERE

Register of Effects HERE

jonbem

the war diary for

Reference: WO 95/2277/2
Description:

2 Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

Date: 1915 Jan - Oct

is HERE on National Archives for £3.50 fee

or on Ancestry May 1915 is HERE

Edited by jonbem
add 2nd link

MrsCabbage

Thank you very much

jonbem

Location in the war diary suggests Wieltje and a search on

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

for this gives

Results for search Wieltje

PlaceMap Sheet #Map Squares

Wieltje FM 28NW2 C28

Graham Stewart

Although he died with the 2nd Bn, he was actually numbered 3/7703 Sgt William Donaldson, who had infact served with the the 5th(Militia)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers into which he enlisted around August 1907. This battalion was later renamed the 3rd(Militia)Bn, N.F., after the disbandment of the 4th "regular" Bn in 1906 and the 3rd "regular" Bn in 1907 and in August 1908 it was again renamed the 3rd(Special Reserve)Bn.

So in essence he wasn't a "Regular" soldier at all, but a Militiaman, who generally only trained for one month - usually around August - of each year. A bit more on the Militia can be gleaned from this Paul Nixons website, which shows a Militiamans Small Book, which is part of my collection;-

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/militiamans-small-book-1892.html

On the outbreak of the Great War the role of the Special Reserve was to supply "drafts" of trained soldiers to both the 1st and 2nd Regular Bns on being "embodied". More of the role of the Special Reserve can be gleaned from this site;-

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/creation-of-special-reserve-in-1908.html

As such and with his training he was eventually posted to the 2nd Bn, N.F., with whom he died.

In 1915 to overcome the problem of duplicate numbering the Battalion pre-fix numbers were added and so he was numbered 3/7703.

Hope it all doesn't become too confusing for you.

Regards,

Graham.

MrsCabbage

Thats fantastic thank you. I did wonder as on the 1911 census his occupation wasnt soldier.