Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

kevvo1962

medal prefix

kevvo1962

Hello there all,..i have tried my hardest to find out about a strange medal prefix i have never seen before,But alas without success,,So ive come to the only place i can think of that could help me....the prefix is before the unit on a victory medal..It reads.... 222 -M.G.C.....ive never seen numbers before a unit ..the owner is a 94413 CPL H.P.PAYNE.....He Was also in the 25 London Regiment...Hope  someone can explain it to me..yours..Kevin.....

rksimpson

Hi

No clue in his MIC or Medal Roll.

Looking in LLT gives this list - http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/machine-gun-corps-in-the-first-world-war/the-companies-and-battalions-of-the-machine-gun-corps/

Oddly no 222 company???

regards

Robert

Maureene

The 222 Company appears to have taken part in the 3rd Afghan War, and there is a War Diary at the National Archives which includes this Company

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4558561  WO 95/5409

I believe 222 Machine Gun Company was at Campbellpur, India (now Pakistan) at least for the period 1 March 1917 to 22 October 1917. The company then moved to Rawalpindi, India (now Pakistan) where it remained past 18 April 1918. It was still in existence in June 1919.

Cheers

Maureen

hmsk212

Hi Kevin

The Victory Medal is oddly marked because he wasn't entitled to a Victory Medal so this one has been "self " awarded.

Steve

rksimpson

Of course, I should have realised that!!!

MIC only for BWM and TFEM.

regards

Robert

kevvo1962

Thank you for that response,brilliant,seemed strange..his War medal and Territorial war medal and Efficiency medal are all marked 25th London regiment....also he has twin brothers both k.i.action......

david murdoch
8 hours ago, Maureene said:

The 222 Company appears to have taken part in the 3rd Afghan War, and there is a War Diary at the National Archives which includes this Company

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4558561  WO 95/5409

I believe 222 Machine Gun Company was at Campbellpur, India (now Pakistan) at least for the period 1 March 1917 to 22 October 1917. The company then moved to Rawalpindi, India (now Pakistan) where it remained past 18 April 1918. It was still in existence in June 1919.

Cheers

Maureen

Probably served in India (hence BWM only) and likely transferred into MGC there. 222nd Coy. were involved in 3rd Afghan war and a number appear on the GSM roll, but does not look like he was awarded a GSM/clasp. On that roll there were three  MGC Paynes  received GSM -  Albert C. Payne 222nd Coy., George H.W. Payne 263 Coy. and Ernest E. G. Payne 22nd Squadron 

As mentioned above  probably awarded himself the VM!

kevvo1962

thankyou for ur hard work..im much more aware now....he had twin brothers who were both k.i.a....in 1918....sad.