Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
ralphjd

Widnes War Memorial

ralphjd

A friend of mine is enquiring re the Widnes W M anybody have a list of names thereon only 27 come up when Googled. Ralph.

ralphjd

Further info. All the names were published in a 700 run book in 1999 " I Dont Want To Be A Sunbeam" very rare apparantly anybody got one ? 

derekb

Hi Ralph,

I have a copy of "I Don't Want To Be A Sunbeam"

Regards,

Derek.

ralphjd

Derek. I shall contact my friend and see what information he requires either from your book or the memorial itself, I suspect he needs details of a particular man , will get back to you as soon as he responds. Many thanks Ralph

derekb

Ralph

There is quite a lot of information for some of the men in the book not so much for others - let me know. 

Derek. 

ralphjd

Will do mate, soon as. Ralph

GraemeClarke

Hi,

I have two copies from Harry, the author who is member soldier75, as my grandfather, my avatars, is commemorated on the memorial.

41455 Walter Clarke

I have a list of names if you get really stuck but I need to put them into some sort of format which is transferable via the Forum.

I've also got pictures of all the panels.

Regards

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

ralphjd

Derek/ Graeme. Will be in touch as soon as I get contact from my friend. Thanks Ralph

ralphjd

Morning chaps. Information required on a JOHN LEDDER so my mate tells me, possibly a Ramsbottom soldier, if not details - if any - will be passed on to his g,granddaughter in Llandudno. Heres hoping. Ralph.

derekb

Good Afternoon Ralph,

I can't find a John Ledder in "I Don't Want To Be A Sunbeam", also I can not see him listed in "Widnes Heroes", where the men are listed in date order and I have used the date below.

There is a John Ledder on Soldiers Died In The Great War";

L16305, Acting Bombardier, Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery.

Born;         Chesham, Bury, Lancashire.

Enlisted;   Bury. Lancashire.

KIA;           France & Flanders, 28/01/1916.

Is this him?

Regards,

Derek.

ralphjd

Yes thats him CWGC has his wife in Ditton Widnes, my friend and others have raised £50,000 to have all the Ramsbottom men listed on a memorial and those that are listed elsewhere are not being included, as John Ledder is as the CWGC states he thought that maybe he was commemorated on the Widnes memorial, this is the reason for this post. Thanks for checking. Ralph.

Kitchener's Bugle
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 23:55, ralphjd said:

Yes thats him CWGC has his wife in Ditton Widnes, my friend and others have raised £50,000 to have all the Ramsbottom men listed on a memorial and those that are listed elsewhere are not being included, as John Ledder is as the CWGC states he thought that maybe he was commemorated on the Widnes memorial, this is the reason for this post. Thanks for checking. Ralph.

Hi ralphjd,

This might be of interest to you.....

ralphjd

Thanka KB very interesting. Ralph