Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

pompeyrodney

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

Flora

Hi Rodney old sweats ,I have really loved readily ur grandfathers diary, it's amazing, my father was tk( Thomas Keddie) he never ever spoke about the was Only even once stating any man that's says he is not afraid at war isn't telling the truth,dad never attended a march even, every Anzac Day he just got out his medals and allowed us girls to hold, look at and take turns wear, dad's two best friends he enlisted with, all school headmasters were killed on landing gallipolli also. I remember dad just said god bless them on Anzac Day, mum told us their names , one was lietenant lightbody, can't remember other but they both had listings numbers either before or after dad , dad was 856 number I think. I was only 13 wen 2 war ended,dad kept under house trunk all his gallipolli stuff,dad dropped dead heart attack at age 60, suffered terribly his wounds,dragged leg etc,mum died 3 months before dad .WE WERE SO SHOCKED AT MY PARENTS EARLY DEATHS,AS MY BROTHER WAS ONLY AGED 10 ,HOUSE WAS SOLD, WE NEVER KNEW WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS TRUNK,HOUSE WAS DEMOLISHED 30 years ago for park to be made, I dream someone finds, but think it must been dumped in error,anyway see ur grandfather mentioned my dad a few times, such a joy thanks

DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS AT ALL WE HAVE NONE, LOVE SEE SOME, COUNT LOCATE ANT AT WAR MUSEUM OF DAD EITHER

Old sweats please contact me via email address- allyloua@optusnet.com.au

THANKYOU flora keddie-daughter tom keddie

Wonder if ur grandfather knew my dad before the war as they both enlisted in country on ship benalla

Was ur grandfather a school headmaster also?

SailorSoldier

My Grandfather was 547 Cyril Francis EASTGATE, 8 Battalion 1st AIF. He left Australia on the 'Benalla ', then to Egypt for training and then to an island to wait to go to Gallipoli. He landed at Gallipoli 25 April 1915 in the second wave. On the 16th May 1915 he was wounded in action, shot through the upper thigh/buttocks/pelvis and after the Greek hospital he sailed home to Australia on 3 September 1915 aboard HMS Ulysses and was discharged medically unfit. The sad thing in all of it was that he died aged 39 from his wounds(as per the Obituary Notice in the local Bendigo paper} leaving behind a very young family. The other thing to mention is that he was one of five brothers, all served in various capacities within the 1st AIF.

Blackblue

And brothers.

And...

post-1563-0-10420000-1397760976_thumb.jp

post-1563-0-00468700-1397760994_thumb.jp

post-1563-0-06040600-1397761102_thumb.jp

Blackblue

There was a Private Robert Lightbody with the 8th Bn who was killed 11 August 1918, but he did not enlist until 1916.

Teachers around Thomas Keddie were 855 Private Campbell Peter, 858 Private James Roadknight, 859 Private McHarg McKenzie and 860 Private William Colvin. All were killed.

855 Company Quartermaster Sergeant (CQMS)Campbell McDiarmid Peter, 8th Battalion, of Cobden, Vic. CQMS Peter was a school-teacher prior to enlisting on 18 August 1914. He embarked from Melbourne on HMAT Benalla on 19 October 1914. He received a gunshot wound to his right shoulder during the Gallipoli landings on 25 April 1915, and died from his wounds on 6 May 1915 at Heliopolis in Egypt, aged 20. Photo 1.

858 Lieutenant James Roadknight was commissioned and Killed in Action in Belgium on 12 October 1917 serving with the 37th Battalion. Photo 2.

859 Private McHarg McKenzie was Killed in Action at Lone Pine on 8 May 1915. Photo 3.

860 Corporal (later 2nd Lieutenant) William Colvin, 8th Battalion of Rutherglen, Victoria. A school teacher prior to enlisting, he embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT Benalla (A24) on 19 October 1914. On 25 July 1916, he was killed in action at Pozieres, France, aged 23. He has no known grave and is remembered with honour on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, France. Photo 4.

post-1563-0-62603700-1397762257_thumb.jp

post-1563-0-60149200-1397762715_thumb.jp

post-1563-0-06168000-1397762724_thumb.jp

post-1563-0-31273300-1397762824_thumb.jp

pompeyrodney

Hi Blackblue

Do you know which schools any of these guys taught at as I would be very interested, as I believe my grand aunt taught at Mount Arapiles school at the time.

Cheers

There was a Private Robert Lightbody with the 8th Bn who was killed 11 August 1918, but he did not enlist until 1916.

Teachers around Thomas Keddie were 855 Private Campbell Peter, 858 Private James Roadknight, 859 Private McHarg McKenzie and 860 Private William Colvin. All were killed.

855 Company Quartermaster Sergeant (CQMS)Campbell McDiarmid Peter, 8th Battalion, of Cobden, Vic. CQMS Peter was a school-teacher prior to enlisting on 18 August 1914. He embarked from Melbourne on HMAT Benalla on 19 October 1914. He received a gunshot wound to his right shoulder during the Gallipoli landings on 25 April 1915, and died from his wounds on 6 May 1915 at Heliopolis in Egypt, aged 20. Photo 1.

858 Lieutenant James Roadknight was commissioned and Killed in Action in Belgium on 12 October 1917 serving with the 37th Battalion. Photo 2.

859 Private McHarg McKenzie was Killed in Action at Lone Pine on 8 May 1915. Photo 3.

860 Corporal (later 2nd Lieutenant) William Colvin, 8th Battalion of Rutherglen, Victoria. A school teacher prior to enlisting, he embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT Benalla (A24) on 19 October 1914. On 25 July 1916, he was killed in action at Pozieres, France, aged 23. He has no known grave and is remembered with honour on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, France. Photo 4.

Blackblue

Hi Jules,

Long time no see. No, I think I just looked at their service papers at NA from memory. Perhaps a look at them and some Ancestry search will tell us more? I'll have a look again later on.

Rgds

Tim

Neb-Maat-Re

Hi Blackblue

Do you know which schools any of these guys taught at as I would be very interested, as I believe my grand aunt taught at Mount Arapiles school at the time.

Cheers

Hi. William Colvin taught at taught at Leongatha High School for some time in 1914 before going to Warragul High School where he has been commemoratedin their school newsletter: www.wrc.vic.edu.au/index.php/download_file/view/232/101/

William was my great-great-uncle.

AnneD

I have just recently discovered this thread and have read it with great interest.  My great uncle was in the 8the battalion and travelled on the Benala to Egypt. Your diary has given me such an amazing insight to my great uncles life.  His name was Allan Couper Robertson.  HE was killed at Nieppe Wood on 14th April 1918.  He is buried at Nieppe Bois British Cemetery, Vieux Berlin. I am going to France next year to visit his grave and that of his brother Roy who was killed on 3rd April 1918 during the battle of Dernancourt. He is buried at Millencourt.  

I have translated the Passport application if you still need it.

Republic of France

Visa Passport Application

1.  Name and first name-  Pitt (John Gibson)

2.Date and place of birth- 13/2/1874   London, England

3. Address- Stuart Rd Thornton Heath Surrey England

4.Current Nationality-  British

5. Original Nationality

6. Travel patterns (plans)-  Go ashore during the stopover in Toulon

7. Length of stay in France- Duration of stopover

8. Places the applicant wishes to go to- toulon or Marseilles

9. Indicate the name and address of two residents of France-  British Consulate

I also have a photo from the Australian War Memorial that has my great uncle and your grandfather.  I will try to find the link and send it to you.  There are two copies if the photo.  One with numbers written on each person and keyed to a list of names below.

kind regards

and thanks again for your fantastic work.

Anne

AnneD

Here is the link to the photo with the list of names.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/E01071/

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/E01071K/  This one has the numbers on it.

According the list I have your grandfather is the bottom right seated almost facing right.  My great uncle is front row third from the left.

The photo was taken 'men of the 8th and 6th battalions making their way under shellfire from the trenches near Railway Wood in the Ypres sector."

regards

Anne

Carps
3 minutes ago, Carps said:

Charles Collard099.jpg

Have just found this site, my grandfather served with the 8th Bn, he was originally with the 24th Bn 7 reinforcements, embarked at Melbourne on the 26th November 1915 for Egypt. On the 24 Feb 1916 he was transferred to the 8th Bn and arrived at Marseilles France on the 31st march 1916. I will read the diary fully soon. I too have a diary covering 1917 written by Charles and many photos. At the Battle of Poziers an the third day he was wounded and evacuated to England. He returned to the unit on the 10 Feb 1917 and back in to his old coy D. They were at the time near Fricourt Farm. You diary is a lot more detail than the one I have and will help fill in the gaps. Thanks very much, will do more as time permits.