Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

David_Blanchard

Aisne- Chemin des Dames Battle May- June 1918

ph0ebus

Well done! I look forward to buying a copy.

-Daniel

David_Blanchard

Thanks Daniel. I hope you can get hold of a copy in the US.

Actually there was more I wanted to add- and had to cut about 6,000 words - but it is still one of the longest Battleground books at 280 pages.

If you follow twitter my user account about the Aisne battle can be found here @foxton44

Regards

David

Respect2WW1

I think I may have posted in one of these topics before; my Nan's nephew 57344 Pte Thomas Symonds died at (we think) the 3rd Battle of Aisne on 27th May 1918, aged 19. he was in the 3rd Bat Worcestershire reg. He was originally buried at Jonchery Survesle cemetery but then re-interred at Chambrecy British Cemetery in Marne. I don't have any photos of him in the army or any further info. His 2 brothers were also fighting in WW1 - Walter and William, all from Kiddington in Oxfordshire. The older brothers made in home, although William was wounded in the leg by a fellow soldier discharging his rifle while cleaning it (for which he was court-marshalled). I will be doing a battlefield tour next year and visiting his grave - the first and only relative ever to have visited it, so I am honoured and humbled. Any info welcomed!

StephenJohnRoberts1958

This is an absolutely fascinating thread of posts and very useful for me. I am researching a Hoylake man for his current relations. His name was Arthur Haskins G/42993 2/Middlesex. I am assuming he was a conscript. It looks as though he had not volunteered earlier in the war due to having a family and being responsible for a sports shop. It is interesting to note that such soldiers are largely forgotten about in the popular imagination, even though they were capable of being just as brave and effective as their more talked about counterparts in the New Armies and even though they died in such great numbers in 1918.

Skipman
On 02/05/2006 at 20:59, David_Blanchard said:

Aisne Battle 27th May - 6th June 1918: Divisions and Regiments

149th Brigade: Brigadier General E P A Riddell (Wounded)

Head-Quarters: Centre d'Evreux

4th Northumberland Fusiliers: Lieutenant Colonel B D Gibson (KIA)

Head-Quarters: Centre Marceau

Soldiers Died: 63

Officers Died: 8

Captain J M Benson Lieut Col B D Gibson Lieut W S Jones Captain D T Turner (30th May) 2/ Lieut A E Morris 2/Lieut J E Farwell (30th May) 2/Lieut R H Smallwood 2/Lieut H R Tully ( In Soldiers Died but not in CWGC) (Photographs of all in 'When the Lantern of Hope Burned Low' by Rev R Wifrid Callin, C F)

Officers POW: 14

Morning David. A small point but wasn't Smallwood a full Lieutenant by May 1918, Medal Roll (think promoted March 1917?)

Mike

charlie2

Has the total number of British PoWs taken during this period ever been established? I only seem to be able to find the total number of casualties.

Charlie

Alex Helstrip

Hello. I am planning on visiting the Battlefield site next year on the centenary (27th May 2018) particularly the area around Berry au Bac and I wondered if anyone out there might be able to offer any advice on where to go and what there is to see. I am particularly interested in the movements of the 2nd Battallion the Rifle Brigade.

charlesmessenger

Alex

Get David Blanchard's Aisne 1918, one of Pen & Swords's Battleground series. It will tel you everything you want to know and more.

Charles M 

Alex Helstrip

Hello. Thank you for your reply and your tip. I 've read through this blog and Mr Blanchard intimated in one of his posts that he had to leave a lot out of his book in order to satisfy the requirements of the publisher. I wonder if there was much that pertained to the 2nd Battalion The Rifle Brigade. I wonder too if there will be anyone doing guided trips of the battlefield. Unlikely I know 

charlesmessenger

Alex

2 RB is well covered in the book. There is even a sketch map showing how it was deployed when the Germans attacked.

Charles M